Wednesday, May 5, 2010

April Fool's Day

I was disappointed with myself as I began getting ready for the day on April Fools Day. I hadn't planned one trick to play on my kids. What fun is that?
Just then, lightning struck!
I ran down to the food storage and grabbed three packages of Fruit Snacks. Then I used Hershey's Syrup and Food Coloring to make Green Chocolate Milk. I set the places for breakfast and waited for the kids to come down. I greatly enjoyed their puzzled expressions as I responded to their queries about what was for breakfast, saying, "It's right there." "Fruit Snacks?" "Yeah, why not?" And then, once they looked further, "What is in our cups?"Even Alex was bemused!Of course, once I'd had my fun, and they'd finished their Fruit Snacks, I called "April Fools!" and made them a "real" breakfast. I was satisfied with the excitement for the day I had now given them.
Mike had planned, the night before, that he would wake Andrew up and play his trick on him. But, he forgot in the morning, and so decided to play it on him at bedtime. After Family Scripture Study, Prayer, the brushing of teeth, and stories, as Andrew was just climbing into his covers, Mike called to him, "Hey Andrew, Come here! I just found a secret passage on ToonTown that gives you ALL the gags of every level!" He couldn't wait to have Andrew run down the stairs in complete amazement, but Andrew just slowly climbed down the bunk bed ladder and commented to me, "It's probably just an April Fools joke." Sure enough, when Andrew reached the computer, Mike's toon's word bubble read, "April Fools!" Mike's bubble of excitement was burst as Andrew simply said, "Yeah, I knew it!" And headed back to bed. Poor guy. Next year I'll have to remind him first thing to play his tricks early, before Andrew gets wise from the whole day of tricks!
By the way, the weather played tricks on us that day too! Here was the view from my kitchen window that morning.A few nights later, as Mike and I were headed to bed, I saw snow on our deck and wanted to capture a picture of it. It was completely black outside, so I was SHOCKED when I took the picture and saw actual flakes coming down right then. I couldn't see them with my naked eyes; I almost didn't believe what I saw on the camera's screen. I had to stick my head out the sliding glass door to feel the flakes to really believe it. Mike chuckled to himself as he listened to me go on and on, in amazement, as we settled into bed. What can I say? - I'm easily amused!

No comments:

Post a Comment