Sunday, September 19, 2010

Super Labor Day Weekend

We had tossed around the idea of going camping at South Fork again, but it proved to be too much, especially since our tent is in need of repair before it can be used again. So, instead, we spent Saturday afternoon at South Fork. Mike & I had promised the kids that we would return sometime during the summer, & this would likely be our last chance.

The main attractions at South Fork, for our kids, were the Landslide hill and the cave. Andrew was a little disappointed, this time, because he's worn flip-flops (which were necessary for our other plans) and therefore couldn't climb the landslide as high as he'd been able to back in May. He did get pretty high, though. Coming down is half the fun.

The cave was next. The main reason we'd promised a return trip to South Fork was so the boys could go into the cave when the water wasn't so high & so cold as it was in May. The water was still VERY cold! It took about three tries to get their feet used to the cold enough to endure walking all the way across to the dry part in the cave, but Ethan & Andrew did it! I was proud that they were so determined to do it! Mike, of course, was tough enough, but I chickened out - all in the name of staying with Alex, who also wasn't quite tough enough yet either.

Mike had carried Alex, who had regular shoes & socks on, halfway in & back out again. But, as soon as our backs were turned to help the other boys make another try, Alex trudged right into the water anyway. So, off came the shoes & socks. Why didn't we think of that in the first place?


Though it was a little excursion, the boys were sufficiently impressed with the cave Mike adored in his childhood.Tubing down the river was the part Mike & I were most excited to introduce to them. One of the embarrassing moments of my life is when we were engaged & Mike took me tubing here on the 4th of July. I hadn't been tubing down a river in many years, so in my mind, tubing always meant going down a snow-covered hill. As we had gotten ready, I asked Mike if he though there'd really be snow up there in July. He'd said that yes, there usually was some at the tops of the mountains there. I was a little confused when he asked if I was wearing my swimsuit, & he was a little confused that I was wearing long pants. I quickly changed, thinking that it was a very hot day, so the snow would probably feel good to me, but I still didn't understand what we were really doing until we were almost there & Mike shared stories of past times he'd been tubing there with his cousins & family. The light went on, & we had a good laugh as I admitted my mistake. I shared that story with the boys as we were on our way.
We saw many other tubers as we got ourselves all ready. The boys were all very excited by the time it was their turn! Alex hung out with me while Mike took the big boys for the first trial run. They loved it & hurried back for another go.
We'd invited Uncle Levi to join us at the last minute. He was already spending time with some friends, & they all decided to join us. When Levi showed up, I had him take Alex down for a turn. I had to take my last few pictures & then put the camera away before I got a turn. We hiked up further than before to take one long ride down. One of Levi's friends' tubes popped on some branches, & Levi traded tubes with me so I could balance better with Ethan on my lap. Ethan & I had a scary moment when the current forced us under the branches along the bank, but luckily we recovered & were able to keep the tube from getting popped. Some parts were very shallow, which meant sore bums for the adults, but other parts were just right! We even enjoyed a couple "rapid-like" parts, & no one fell off their tubes! Overall it was a great activity!

That night, as I was putting Ethan to bed, he told me, "Thanks for riding in the tube with me! You're so fun to be with. I'm glad you're my mom!" He also gave me lots of hugs. Those are the rewards of parenthood! I love my sweet Ethan, & all my adventuresome boys!

Sunday we rested, as was appropriate for the day.
Then, Monday morning we joined the whole Slade family for a hike up Strong Canyon. Grandma had been working with a trainer & figured she'd be able to do a 1 mile hike. We went a little further than that, since Jase had done this same hike in Scouts & wanted to show us some cool things.

There was an enormous pile of straw & loose dirt that begged to be climbed. So, we obliged. Aunt Kathie & Uncle Henry made several trips up & down, assisting climbers as needed.
Shoulder-rides were once again a necessity, which meant that a picture of them was also pertinent. I carried Brooklyn, Will carried Braxton (until he chivilrously traded me), & Henry carried Alex.
One of the cool things Jase showed us was this old car that had wrecked here years ago. there was another was nearby that was more of a pancake than a car.

All the kids loved to climb on the rocks, too. Heidi & I just had to hold our breath & be grateful when no one fell off!

Our day together didn't end there. Sept. 6th is also Uncle Levi's birthday! For his birthday present he had requested that everyone help him with some projects at his house. "That's not a very good birthday present," Andrew responded when we told him what we were there to do. The kids were initially too tired from the hike to willingly help. But, after a break, which included some playing of the Wii & some snacking on grapes, they all did a wonderful job at helping!

Uncle Henry used a chainsaw, while Will, Levi, & Dale pulled on a long tethered rope to take down the trees that were causing damage to Levi's roof. They also helped repair some of the damage on the roof.

The trees were then sawed into smaller pieces, which the little boys (and the big kids, for a while) helped to sort into piles. Alex & Braxton were inescapably drawn to the power tools, but it was a bit loud for them.

The big kids helped with other projects too! Jase helped trim the overgrown bushes in the back, while Andrew, Brooklyn & Ethan carried the branches into a neat pile. Heidi was overseer for the kids, and helped sort the wood from the trees once the kids were done with their part. Mike used the hedge trimmer to get more of the bushes, and used the "lawn-mower-trimmer" on the grass.
I weeded the front flower bed & some between the landscape rocks. Brooklyn & Ethan helped me for a bit with the flower bed. After all the hard work, we decided to stay to play too. We were treated to Subway for lunch. Then Janice took the youngest ones for a drive & a nap, while the other kids found ways to entertain themselves. Mike & Will spent time studying Java, to prepare Will for his upcoming job interviews, & the rest of us played Levi's German version of Settlers of Catan (the picture of which accidentally got deleted - oops!). Afterward, Kathie & Henry bought us pizza for dinner. All in all, it was a terrific day! A terrific weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment