Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Good Day!

Yesterday was a good day! Mike and I had dentist appointments in the morning and we forgot to get a sitter for the kids, so they came along. They were pretty good, and the staff at the office was so great with them! I'm always so amazed at how well they remember us - right down to Alex's name! I wish I were better at remembering details about people!



When we came home, Mike got to work finishing up our tiling around the tub surround. (I can say "our" tiling, even when I didn't help with any of the tiling, because I help make it happen by keeping up with the kids and housework while Mike works!) I'm so glad we chose to pay the extra money for the decorative tile along the edge. It really adds a lot to the look!



As with all of our home improvements, Mike invited the boys to help with what they could. I'm so grateful for a man who is not only willing to learn how to do projects like this himself, but who also takes the time to pass what knowledge he can on to our children! And they love the time and attention he gives them!!
The last great thing that happened was the icing on the cake for me! It made whatever stressful moments I had endured throughout the day leave my mind as I celebrated this major acheivement!:
Ethan TRIED Taco Soup AND LIKED IT!!!
Now, I know it's my own fault that my kids are picky, but I'm doing my best to help them overcome it! Ethan typically chooses not to try foods he's skeptical of, mostly out of a sense of loyalty to Andrew who enthusiastically declares that there's no way he's going to try anything new. However, Mike and I have been enforcing our rule of "You must TRY what Mom has made before you are allowed to eat anything else," and I've been making more of a variety of meals lately - not just stuff they already like 'cause I don't want the fight.
It took a lot of encouragement, but Ethan got "just brave enough," like Little Quack in one of Ethan's favorite books. It even inspired Andrew to give it a try, but he couldn't make himself chew the Frito that was dipped in the soup. Maybe next time! I feel a renewal of hope that I CAN get my kids (well, at least Ethan, for now) to expand their dietary repertoire!

No comments:

Post a Comment