Saturday, December 5, 2009

Andrew's Basketball Talent

As soon as the flyer came home from Andrew's school announcing sign-ups for Junior Jazz Basketball, I got online and paid his dues. The night before his first game, Mike took him in the garage for a little skill building. Andrew's P.E. class was also working on basketball skills at that time, so it took a little convincing to get him to think he should practice at home too. It was so cute (Mike would correct me here and say, "It's cool, not cute!") to see Ethan and Alex following Andrew around as he followed Mike's instructions. They dribbled around Mike's toolbox, placed in the center of the garage. They aimed for a spot about 7 feet high on the wall and took shots at it. And Mike had him try defense as Mike dribbled around him. We thought this would become a weekly event, but unfortunately so far, this has been the only night of practice at home. Once, Andrew went with Mike early Saturday morning to play at a church, but it looks like someday we're really going to need our own adjustable basketball hoop for any frequent practicing to take place.

So then the games began. They were held at Farmington Junior High, and none of Andrew's friends whose mothers I'd contacted were going to be participating. Andrew was very nervous that first night. To our joy, he found that one of his classmates from school was on his same team. That was all it took to loosen him up. Sadly, his friend, Colby, broke his arm half way through the season and couldn't continue. (Remind anyone of Andrew during T-ball last spring?) By then, it didn't matter to Andrew, though, because he had made friends with his other teammates. Mike noticed right off that Andrew has a natural talent for defending! He stays on his guy (they wear matching colored wristbands to keep track of the person they're defending), and always has his arms out. He's also usually the first one down the court after a turn-over. One skill he's been working to develop lately is to get open to receive the ball, and look like he actually wants it. He's done better on that the past couple games.


As usual, Andrew is always in motion, whether on the court or on the bench. One game I watched as Andrew took his turn to sit out and began doing push-ups, sit-ups, and running in place on the sideline. As the game went on, I noticed Andrew never returned to the court. As I was helping him put his coat on in the end, the Coach's wife told me that she tried to get him to go back out, but he kept refusing. I asked Andrew why, and he said, "I wanted to do my exercises so I could get better for the next time I play!" I reminded him that the exercises needed to take place before the game, since Daddy and I had paid money to provide him with the opportunity to actually play while we're at the games! What a character!
For some of the games, Ethan and Alex come along to support their brother (we remind them that they will one day have their turn, and Andrew will be coming along to support them, too.) Ethan does such a fantastic job of entertaining Alex! They play so well together! Sometimes they play inside the gym, on the bleachers, or with the portable hoops at the side, and sometimes they run up and down the hallway ramp just outside the gym. Once, both Grandma and Grandpa Slade, and Grandma and Grandpa Larsen came to watch Andrew's game. Ethan and Alex entertained them just as much as the game did!

No comments:

Post a Comment